EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)

Measuring energy efficiency and improving the use of energy is becoming increasingly important for all businesses. This is no different in the real estate business. Regulations regarding energy efficiency for buildings is also becoming more stringent as well.  As of April 2018, all residential and commercial properties that are rented out to tenants must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and buildings that have low ratings will be illegal to let.

Introduced by the UK Government in 2007, the EPC is a standardised document which rates the energy efficiency of a building and its environmental impact. The level of a building’s energy efficiency is rated using an alphabetic scale, with A being very efficient and G being most inefficient. A building with an E or F rating cannot be let. An EPC will also include detailed information about the building’s ongoing energy costs, as well as recommendations on how to improve the building’s energy efficiency. Improvements to energy efficiency will make a property more attractive to a potential buyer or tenant.

Ashworth Group will prepare your EPC Report by having one of our qualified property assessors visit your property. They will do a walk through the building and examine the insulation, the HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) system, the windows, the boiler, and so forth. This is a visual survey and will not require any special preparation by the landlord or tenant. This information, combined with additional building details, such as year of construction, type of building, is inputted into a simulation software that calculates the energy efficiency rating.


The EPC Report will also include suggested improvements that can be made, an estimated cost of such improvements and the estimated savings on utility bills, as well as how these improvements could change the rating of the property in the future. The EPC is valid for 10 years.

Please contact us at Ashworth Group to set up an appointment to prepare an EPC Report for your property.