What goes on during a domestic energy assessment?

A domestic energy assessment of your home will involve both an internal and external inspection of the property. For the purposes of obtaining an Energy Performance Certificate, they can only be undertaken by a fully accredited Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA) or Home Inspector.

When the DEA arrives, he/she will need to inspect, and make note of, the following property details:

  • The year of property construction.
  • Walls and roof construction.
  • Signs of wall-cavity insulation.
  • Energy-saving "green" devices (Such as solar panels, for instance).
  • Number of double glazed windows and when they were installed.
  • Number of open or closed fireplaces.
  • Make and model of boiler and the type of flue and fuel used.
  • Number of low energy light-bulbs.
  • Type of heating system used and controls. (Wall thermostat etc.)
  • Roof insulation and thickness.
  • Measure the thickness of the hot water cylinder jacket or foam.
  • Check for excessive window area in larger houses and take measurements of conservatories and extensions.
  • Note the number of habitable rooms that are heated.
  • Measure the internal or external areas of the home.
  • Sketch and make notes relating to home and room layout

The assessor will typically be on site for an hour although this can of course vary depending on the property. Your certificate will normally be completed within 48 hours.